For those of us from the Rotherham area, Rotherham Hospice is well known and much appreciated, providing care, respite and support at difficult and sad times. We were particularly aware of the wonderful work done by the Hospice when, sadly, the wife of one of SteelPhalt’s longest-serving employees, Steve Orwin, passed away there.
The Hospice is a charitable organization with no government or NHS funding so, in recognition of the care provided for Steve’s wife and for Steve himself, SteelPhalt donated £1000 to the Hospice Charity.
When the check was presented at the Hospice it was obvious that there were no adequate parking facilities for both visitors and staff.
With further discussion, it became apparent that parking was a major issue for the Hospice. Situated on Broom Road, the Hospice is on one of the main trunk roads into Rotherham town center - and in a double yellow no parking restriction zone.
Local residents had also raised the issue with the Community Liaison Group as visitors and staff were forced to park on the side roads, potentially causing bottlenecks and inconvenience.
SteelPhalt took up the cudgel and the challenge to provide a car park for the Hospice. We decided to tackle the project on a "DIY SOS" basis, aiming to build the car park with "a little help from our friends". The challenge was raised at SteelPhalt’s annual golf charity match and we were delighted at the level of support and commitment immediately offered.
Meetings with Barry Chiltern from Rotherham Hospice, Community Liaison Group, Rotherham Planning Department and architects resulted in an agreed proposal.
The Hospice had been willed a house adjoining it by a self-employed hauler, Barry Hall who, coincidentally, used to work for SteelPhalt. The back garden of the house, although a difficult proposition, would provide the necessary area for the car park.
SteelPhalt organized and led the project, with support from both our customers and suppliers. Once the project details had been finalized, work started in June 2017. Derek Lewis turned up with their ground workers, Gary Hather provided the machinery, Cemex and Slinter Mining delivered gabion stone and type 1 sub-base.
It was not a straightforward project either, involving the construction of a 4-meter high gabion retaining wall supported by concrete supplied from Right Mix and the removal of 1500 tonnes of spoil by Everitt Haulage.
Tom Lewis of Derek Lewis Ltd remained focused, driving the team on, and the car park was completed within the five-week timeline, with the finishing touches applied - topsoil from AC Aggregates, fencing from Parkway Sheet Metal and asphalt supplied from SteelPhalt, with help from Nynas Bitumen, and Specialist Surfacing.
The car park was officially opened by Madam Mayor of Rotherham on the 26th of July 2107. Everyone who had helped was in attendance and the heart-warming 'thank you' speech delivered by the Chair of the Trustees certainly brought a tear to the eye.
What a fantastic team effort - we are proud and privileged to have been able to help.